NCTM Principles for School Mathematics
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics have developed these Principles for School Mathematics. What do you think of the following:
- Excellence in mathematics education requires equally high expectations and strong support for all students.
- A curriculum is more than a collection of activities; it must be coherent, focused on important mathematics, and well articulated across the grades.
- Effective mathematics teaching requires understanding of what students know and need to learn and then challenging and supporting them to learn it well.
- Students must learn mathematics with understanding, actively building new knowledge from experience and prior knowledge.
- Assessment should support the learning of important mathematics and furnish useful information to both teachers and students.
- Technology is essential to teaching and learning mathematics; it influences the mathematics that is taught and enhances students’ learning.