Parent Questionnaire – Meet Lori
Lori is a very old friend of mine from high school. We went to college together where she studied to become a teacher. I knew I wanted her to complete the questionnaire because she was always very dedicated to education although she chose to specialize in English/Writing and working with teenagers (which I could NEVER do).
- Please describe how you are involved in the field of education.
I am a writing tutor for high school students and also help student s with college essays; I also work part time with National Louis University supervising student teachers.
2. How many children do you have and how old are they? 3; 11, 7, 4
3. Describe your children’s early childhood experiences. Did they stay at home with a family member? Did they attend preschool or childcare? Did they attend a home-based childcare program, or a combination of the above? (If your children have not yet entered a childcare setting, please answer these questions for the future, i.e., What do you hope your children’s math experiences will be? What are your plans for introducing math to your children at home?)
All attended preschool ; youngest still in preschool
4. Describe your children’s exposure to math in their prekindergarten years both at home and at school.
Practice counting, sorting, identifying numbers they see around them, number books
5. Knowing what you now know about raising and educating children, what worked well in your children’s early math experiences? Playing school and playing occasional online games
6. What didn’t work well? Trying to get my soon-to-be 6th grader to learn her times tables
7. What would you have done differently at home? Practiced more frequently with her perhaps
8. What would you have like to have seen done differently in their prekindergarten settings?